How do you respond (in faith) to the difficulties of your life? Are you pressing ahead toward God’s call even when you fail and find yourself frustrated by uncertain circumstances and difficulties? Hope that you will consider God’s perspective! Join me as I encourage you to push forward in your journey of faith!
Why setbacks and failures?
Simply answered: we are fallen people living in a fallen world. We sin ourselves and others sin against us! Romans (Paul) teaches us that all of creation “groans” and awaits redemption. Consider that God has cursed all humans since Adam and Eve rebelled against Him (Genesis 3). We will certainly face difficulties, failures, and frustrations.
Why does God “frustrate” and allow/bring hardships?
God desires that we worship, serve, seek, and love Him above all things: family, friends, career, etc. God loves us enough to draw us to Himself. Difficulty and failure moves us towards trusting and desiring Christ more and away from depending ourselves or others.
Perspective and How God Defines Success
What if our failures are “failures” in our own sight, but are actually success in God’s eyes? Remember that God will be our Judge, not society, friends,or family. Ultimately, we will stand before a Holy, Righteous, and Perfect God to give an account of our lives. Got questions discusses how the Bible defines success:
For a good explanation of the various judgements of God see the following articles:
God’s Standards of Success
I would define success according to God’s Standard as including the following:
- Seek God’s kingdom and righteousness–consider Matthew 6:33 KJV:”
- 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”
- Love God and others–consider the command of Jesus to love John 13:34-35 KJV
- “34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
- live a life of faith and worship–regardless of our current circumstances we seek in all ways to honor and glorify God in our lives,
- remain faithful through walking by faith and not by sight, pursuing a Good, Perfect Heavenly Father, then
- finally, that we daily become more like Christ. We continue to grow and mature as we seek to live for Christ and not for ourselves, others, or worldly pursuits.
We don’t have to understand or have the answers to be faithful! We can press ahead in our journeys of faith knowing that God will guide us through the dark valleys and deep waters that we must cross. My testimony is that God has never forsaken or given up on me even when I have failed. We don’t have power over how jobs/careers and ministries work out. We can’t control how others treat or abuse us. But we can choose to forgive, let go, and press ahead in our journey.
God reminds me that each new day is another opportunity to live for Him! Each encounter with others is a chance to demonstrate grace, kindness, and righteousness. We can show kindness, grace, and share truth with others. That’s why God leaves us here instead of immediately bringing us to heaven!
Have you recently considered the honor of living for Christ? God gives us opportunities to be like Him so that others will see and experience Him! May God’s grace, mercy, and wisdom flow through your life onto that of others! For His Glory and your edification, I write